Follow Us On Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Watch us on YouTube Instagram
Register
Rock Spyder 4x4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

2005 LJ Transmission Cooler Lines Rusted

I was replacing my oil pan and exhaust system when I noticed that the top of the oil cooler lines (55037624AI, I think?) were rusted out and leaking. I think I bumped it a little bit because now it's leaking more than I'd prefer it to be and it leaks directly onto the exhaust. If I drive it around I'm gonna have a smoke show.
    Can you replace any of the steel portion using transmission lines or anything like that? Or will the heat from surrounding devices melt it? Is there any form of cheap affordable way I could replace these cooler lines? I'm looking at 450 Canadian Pesos and 5 day shipping unless I can find an alternative. The fittings that go into the transmission look like they're gonna be a bit of an issue too. I GREATLY appreciate any help possible. Thanks.

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    i cut all my steel transmission cooler lines and just run rubber trans lines now, mostly to get rid of that quick connect fitting. i still use the stock fittings for the radiator but just slid my rubber lines on and used a hose clamp. i might have used a flare tool on the end of the cut steel line, to give it a bump to help hole the rubber lines on? can't remember. it's been years now.

i think you would be fine.
    OF4WD #3875

Remembering our Fallen Heros

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by caged View Post
    i cut all my steel transmission cooler lines and just run rubber trans lines now, mostly to get rid of that quick connect fitting. i still use the stock fittings for the radiator but just slid my rubber lines on and used a hose clamp. i might have used a flare tool on the end of the cut steel line, to give it a bump to help hole the rubber lines on? can't remember. it's been years now.

i think you would be fine.
    I did the same on my old XJ and it worked fine. Good idea re the "bump" … which I didn't do.

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PCO6 View Post
    I did the same on my old XJ and it worked fine. Good idea re the "bump" … which I didn't do.
    yep. on my xj too. my 90, i haven't done it on my 01 yet, but it hasn't leaked on me yet. but i will when the time comes.
    OF4WD #3875

Remembering our Fallen Heros

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Yeah I did the same thing with the "bump" and also used fuel line clamps not gear clamps on my old setup. No leaks. Now I run rubber line the whole length but my line doesnt get anywhere close to my exhaust. If your line is super close to it and you wanna replace a small section of steel line, I'd say compression fittings and new length of steel section. Lots of ways to do it, really depends on your specific situation.
    OF4WD #8418