Follow Us On Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Watch us on YouTube Instagram
Register
Canadian Tire
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    I used plates from eBay on my YJ and they fit great, I posted pics here somewhere but that was a few years back so they’d be hard to find. Regardless, you need to find out how strong the frame is around the hole, start tapping with a hammer and see if there’s some soft spots, if it’s all solid-which I doubt it will be, then yes a simple patch will do. I’m a licensed tech and I would safety a vehicle with a patched frame, I’ve done it before and would do it again, but yes my license is on the line basically. So really if you find that the frame is solid otherwise, weld a section of plate on it and call it a day, then go back to where you went and see if they approve of it, if not try another shop, or maybe ask why they won’t pass it.
    If it was me I’d use the Rae
    Air plates and do it properly, or at the very least use a piece of L-channel as opposed to a plate.

Niagara region; Jeep lives in a shop in Cambridge tho
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I've got a lift at the shop here. Is it legal for you to come and safety it here or do I have to trailer it somewhere? Posted an ad on kijiji cos I'd sell it right now for the right price and get rid of this headache but if it just needs a quick patch and it's over I would consider that option.

Mentioned
    410 Post(s)
    Selling something like that comming into winter can be a challenge. If everything else is fixed except the frame I'd say start making sparks. You are close to done.

If you don't have access to a trailer caa could get you to a shop, or a 10 day temp sticker and you can drive it there.

Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Agreed. A 10 day temp permit may be your best bet to transport it from one place to a shop to look at it.
    2016 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited (Cecilia) -Sold

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Ya give it a good patch, then get a 10 day permit and drive it to where you need to get it on the road. Nothing wrong with driving something old for your first vehicle, I think you end up respecting what you have more than others.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JustaKidWithaCJ View Post
    I've got a lift at the shop here. Is it legal for you to come and safety it here or do I have to trailer it somewhere? Posted an ad on kijiji cos I'd sell it right now for the right price and get rid of this headache but if it just needs a quick patch and it's over I would consider that option.
    Needs to be at a licensed shop. Like I said check eBay, the plates are pretty cheap, mine were under $200 for plates to repair both sides, which included inner, outer, and lower reinforcement plates that go right over the rotted frame.
    If your plan is to sell it, post it up here or on Kijiji, Facebook, etc...people like projects and will buy as-is.

I found my frame repair pics, take a look at this link
    http://www.jeepcentral.ca/forums/sho...ighlight=Frame
    Last edited by Largefarva; 11-23-2019 at 01:01 AM.

Niagara region; Jeep lives in a shop in Cambridge tho
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Someone mentioned a temp sticker to me before. What are the qualifications for that? I think I’ve got someone in Niagara that I know who can safety it.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JustaKidWithaCJ View Post
    Someone mentioned a temp sticker to me before. What are the qualifications for that? I think Iíve got someone in Niagara that I know who can safety it.
    I got one a few times for vehicles that I purchased and needed to get certified before I could licence them. It's a pretty straight forward process and Service Ontario will walk you through it. I don't remember it being very much money at all. I'm sure it would apply to situations like yours. btw - It's a paper licence of sorts (a bit smaller) and it goes in the upper right inside corner of your windshield.

Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PCO6 View Post
    I got one a few times for vehicles that I purchased and needed to get certified before I could licence them. It's a pretty straight forward process and Service Ontario will walk you through it. I don't remember it being very much money at all. I'm sure it would apply to situations like yours. btw - It's a paper licence of sorts (a bit smaller) and it goes in the upper right inside corner of your windshield.
    LOL ya it's been a while since you got one
    You will need insurance on the Jeep and because of it's age you may need an appraisal to value Jeep for taxes. I needed one for my '82
    they sell you a regular plate with a "T" sticker (temporary) instead of a sticker with month/year
    Last edited by Bullwinkle; 11-24-2019 at 11:23 AM.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullwinkle View Post
    LOL ya it's been a while since you got one
    You will need insurance on the Jeep
    they sell you a regular plate with a "T" sticker (temporary) instead of a sticker with month/year
    Proof of insurance for sure! The last temporary permits I got were in Aug 2016 and Dec 2017. Before I received my actual plates I needed a safety certificate and an appraisal (+20 yrs. at that time). The ownerships were transferred in to my name but I didn't get plates. Both times I got a paper form with an adhesive strip along the top and bottom sides that stuck to the inside of the windshield. Each time they must have told me 10 times (lol) to be sure I put it in the upper left corner. The paper forms were about 5"x8" and had a number that matched other paperwork that I was required to carry with the ownership. When I got my plates I had to return the temporary paperwork that they gave me.

In both cases I went to Service Ontario first to get what I needed. Both vendors were private. One wanted to see everything before I drove off, the other one didn't care. They both kept their original plates which is what they're supposed to do. Overall the process was quite easy.