Follow Us On Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Watch us on YouTube Instagram
Register
Just Jeeps
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Niagara region; Jeep lives in a shop in Cambridge tho
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

78 CJ7 frame hole can't safety

Hi guys, first real post here (just joined last night). I'm in the Cambridge area and I've got a frame problem...rust hole on the rear passenger end-of-the-frame. I took it in to the mechanic next door the other day for a pre-saftey check and the guy told me the laws have changed so that there can no longer be any holes in the frame. In addition to that he said it can't be legally repaired with a welded patch. I honestly have no clue what to do now. If I patch the hole with a weld it can't be safetied and if I leave it the way it is it can't be safetied. I do want to repair it but if it's not going to do jack then why bother repairing if I'm going to have to do a frame swap anyways. I'm leaving with my family to the states until around May 2020 and I need to get it either on the road before then, store it and find something cheap I can drive while I'm down there, or sell it (noooo). So I guess I'm asking the community as a soon-to-be jeeper, does anyone know a mechanic that will make sure its safe and buttoned up properly but pass over the patch? My mechanic said everything else was pretty decent and that was really the only real no-no. Any help here would be greatly appreciated as I'm doubting my sanity in getting a 40 yr old fix up car as my first vehicle lol.

Screen Shot 2019-11-21 at 1.25.18 PM.png
    IMG_0285.jpg

Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Just Jeeps use to sell (possibly still do) frame pieces that would get patched in place. The old area gets cut and new parts slid into existing frame and welded. I'm wondering if he is meaning that those repairs are now not enough for safety or if he means grabbing a piece of steel and welding it over hole so nobody sees it.
    2016 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited (Cecilia) -Sold

Mentioned
    81 Post(s)

Mentioned
    410 Post(s)
    The key there is meets OEM standard. You can weld on a frame, the factory does. However it must be as good as factory when finished. Some mechanics get freaked out by that wording and think everything must be stock. Others understand it means being as good as oem. If you scab a patch over the hole that wont be as strong as oem because boxed frames rot from the inside so l the metal around the hole is thin. However if you use a nice box section like the shaft-t-cap linked above and it's welded in properly then that reasonably would. Just Jeeps can probably point you in the right direction for a saftey when you are getting the parts. (or @adrian@justjeeps do you guys do em in house now?)

Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Or maybe sell it to me

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Southpw View Post
    Or maybe sell it to me
    Don't tempt me...XP

Yea so I've seen these pieces and for sure considering them. My uncle welds hot rod chassis parts so his welds are super clean. When I showed this piece to him he said he doesnt think he can get the MIG gun up there. Do I have to take the body off? Like I said this things gotta be done in under a month so I dont have time for complete rebuilding rn just gotta get it safetied and on the road. Does the piece slide onto the underside of the frame rail or do you cut out the old section and weld the new piece in?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I guess the ideal situation is cleaning it up, putting a solid patch on it, then finding a mechanic who would realize it IS a solid patch and pass it.

JeepCentral Sponsor adrian@4lojeeps's Avatar
    Mentioned
    220 Post(s)
    The proper fix would be a safety cap repair.

However if it was patched back to good metal and done with welds that looked as good or better then factory we would pass that on a safety providing the metal around is also structurally sound.

A safety is on the mechanics license and the shops license so you will likely get varying opinions as its all those parties lively hoods involved.

It looks like the fuel tank is beside it which would have to be dropped to do properly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    So if it was cleaned up and a decent patch (3/16 mild steel?) was solidly welded on, I could trailer it up to your shop in Toronto and you guys could safety it?
    Last edited by JustaKidWithaCJ; 11-21-2019 at 06:00 PM.

Mentioned
    410 Post(s)
    Problem is, I don't know how big of a patch you need till you start cutting. I'd start by dropping the tank, (no need to have it beside the grinder) and start cutting. You may find the metal on the. Bottom and the other side is also thin. Then you can decide if you are going to put a small patch on or if the safety cap is a better idea. On the tj they go around the frame, I suspect it's the same on a cj.