Follow Us On Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Watch us on YouTube Instagram
Register
Just Jeeps
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    192 Post(s)
    before you spend any time/money swapping/repairing you should get under it with an impact gun and a pick/hammer to check out everything else under there.
    Try to hit all the body mount bolts to see if the captured nut just spins same with the skid plate bolts. Then hit the torque boxes and bodymount sections of the tub to see if or how rotted they are. If there are issues found it may not be worth fixing

Mentioned
    406 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullwinkle View Post
    before you spend any time/money swapping/repairing you should get under it with an impact gun and a pick/hammer to check out everything else under there.
    Try to hit all the body mount bolts to see if the captured nut just spins same with the skid plate bolts. Then hit the torque boxes and bodymount sections of the tub to see if or how rotted they are. If there are issues found it may not be worth fixing
    This^ if the torque boxes are gone or the floors then it's probably not worth starting the project. You can get the frame sections and torque boxes but by the time you pay parts and labour you could replace the jeep. If the tub is solid (I have my doubts due to the rust I see in the pictures) then it may be worth doing. I wouldn't worry about the skid plate bolts too much as if they don't come out you can cut the frame up around them when the tub is off or replace the skid. It's a labour intensive job at the best of times and you can bet not everything will unbolt cleanly.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Yeah... the war on rust is no joke. I did it on my toyota... redoing the frame was a lot of work but I'd do it again for the extra strength and peace of mind that comes with it. Lots of hours, if you're not doing it yourself I'd abandon ship.

And as for body work, I would avoid it at all costs. Looks like your body is rusted too, if you're emotionally or financially invested do what you gotta do, but otherwise I'd sell it and use the money to buy a rust free jeep. If you can find 1 with a blown engine or transmission, you could save some money there for sure. Swapping parts is a lot easier than fighting rust.
    OF4WD #8418