Follow Us On Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Watch us on YouTube Instagram
Register
TMR Customs
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)

Jeep Devises Fix For Wrangler Death Wobble

Jeep Devises Fix For Wrangler Death Wobble

Fiat Chrysler Automobiles' (FCA) Jeep division says it has come up with a solution for a Wrangler SUV steering issue known as the "death wobble".

Jeep describes the phenomenon as a vibration or resonance that can occur when the Wrangler's front wheels hit a bump at highway speeds. If the conditions are right, a rapid steering oscillation will continue indefinitely unless the driver speeds up or slows down.

The Wrangler's steering has a damper a shock absorber, essentially whose job is to quell such vibrations. But in speaking to the Detroit Free Press, FCA's chief technical compliance officer, Mark Chernoby, said the vibration is caused by air getting into the damper in cold weather. FCA's fix is a redesigned damper to correct a problem Chernoby attributed in the Free Press interview to "a combination of design and manufacturing process."

In the US, FCA is facing a class-action lawsuit claiming a design flaw in 20152018 model year Wranglers.

FCA insists the vibration is not a safety issue, so they are calling the fix a "customer satisfaction note" instead of a recall. However, like a recall, FCA will install the new part at the company's expense. FCA Canada's Lou Ann Gosselin said the campaign also applies to Canadian Wrangler models, and that letters have been mailed to owners of affected vehicles.

Mentioned
    410 Post(s)
    Why, oh, why do they still think it's the steering damper? It's just not, it can be any number of other things but not that.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    it's a quick and easy "fix" for them and not very costly. hey, throw a brand new, possibly upgraded damper on there, and i'm sure, it will stop the death wobble, for now. just long enough for them to not have to deal with it again.

but i would tell them that i want it to be fixed, without the use of a damper, at all. band-aid fixes aren't the answer.
    OF4WD #3875

Remembering our Fallen Heros

Mentioned
    410 Post(s)
    Exactly, if I can go down the road with a jk axle, a custom suspension, big bias ply tires, and no steering damper at all without death wobble. why can't a new stock jeep with all the engeneering clout of chrysler behind it?