Follow Us On Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Watch us on YouTube Instagram
Register
Grote LED
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

check engine light still on...

Just did the oil change, but the check engine light is still on, and when I check the codes, I just get a -Done-. Besides this, not sure if it means anything since it does go away, but when my key is in the on position, the last symbol to disappear is the Red Lighting bolt...it disappears though after 10 seconds or so. Does this mean anything?

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    I’m confused, can you be more specific? And include year make and model.
    Check engine light has nothing to do with oil change, and your lights will come on with key on, as a bulb check, so lights on with the key on but engine off is totally normal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Largefarva View Post
    Iím confused, can you be more specific? And include year make and model.
    Check engine light has nothing to do with oil change, and your lights will come on with key on, as a bulb check, so lights on with the key on but engine off is totally normal.

Im confused, I never said anything about the lights coming on. I did reference the Red Lightning Bolt Symbol though.

It's a 2012 Wrangler. I did the oil change cuz it needed it, and I thought it might resolve the Check Engine status. Just got a -DoNe- though.

Mentioned
    421 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rubixdude View Post
    Im confused, I never said anything about the lights coming on. I did reference the Red Lightning Bolt Symbol though.

It's a 2012 Wrangler. I did the oil change cuz it needed it, and I thought it might resolve the Check Engine status. Just got a -DoNe- though.
    Sounds like you may need to hook up a decent code reader and scan it. Usually check engine codes will show on the dash but who knows. The need for an oil change wont trigger the check engine light though. I'll be in the garage all weekend if you want to swing by and scan it. I think I remember you not living too far away.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rubixdude View Post

Ok...but the thread title is “check engine light still on”, so clearly you have a light on. I was just letting you know that all the lights should come on as part of a diagnostic that the car does, that’s all. Doesn’t matter which one goes out last.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks to you both, but now I've got another problem. Apparently when I came back from a short drive yesterday, my Jeep was trailing some oil down the street, and apparently there was some smoke. My first thought was that I didn't tighten the bolt in the oil pan enough, but upon closer inspection, oil was dripping off a bunch of spots on the underside, but not where that cap is. Where would the new oil I put in be leaking from? Has some line broken?

EDIT to add: most of the oil continued to leak out in my driveway...it's more or less directly under the crossmember that stretches across, just back of the oil pan, basically there's lots of oil droplets hanging from a bunch of spots on the undercarriage. So I think the leak is from up above and dribbling down in a lot of spots?
    Last edited by rubixdude; 08-05-2019 at 11:02 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I put the oil filter on only "hand-tight"...is it possible all of the oil is leaking out through the top there? I do see signs of some leaking out there just now when I put an extra litre in to take it to garage. I'm tempted to top up the oil, tighten it up and seem if the problem goes away.

Mentioned
    421 Post(s)
    Take the filter back off and double check that the seal isn't damaged first. They should go on hand tight but I do it as tight as I can by hand, not just finger tight, seems to work for the spin ons, the cartridge filter on my Mazda needs a socket but I just go untill hit bottoms out as it's plastic. I've seen people say the cap should be replaced every couple of oil changes but 300k and counting says they are wrong.

If I remember you have a 3.6 so that's a cartridge filter, there's a known issue with there being 2 possible filters and the wrong one causing catastrophic engine failure, you sure you have the right one? Also over tightening of the filter cap is known to cause the oil filter assembly to crack and leak, you sure that didn't happen? If I'm wrong and you have a 3.8L disregard everything I just said and crank the filter. Did you lube the gasket before installing the filter?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Okay, so...it's a 3.6. When I looked at it this morning, much/all of the oil had drained out, and it looked like it came out of the oil filter cap. I could see where it had been dribbling out. So today I figured I had under tightened it (I'd read about it being possible to over-tighten so I did it hand tight). Maybe not tight enough. So I tightened it, but saw that it was still dribbling from there. So i grabbed more oil and a filter today, and I reinstalled the filter (sure enough, upon inspection the o-ring had been damaged). When I put the new one back on, the spot where I saw trickling was not trickling anymore, so I thought I had fixed the problem, but after a 5 minutes drive I saw oil still dropping over various parts of the undercarriage.

As far as catastrophic engine failure goes...I sure hope not. I did this oil change myself last year too,...with no problems. Canadian Tire told which one to use (a FRAM CH10995 if I recall). When I put the new oil filter on today, this time I tightened it with a ratchet...hard to say if I over tightened it or not, but as soon as there was resistance, I stopped.

EDIT to add: no, I didn't lube the o-ring/gasket when I did the oil change the other day. I thought about it, cuz I felt I'd heard that, but the tutorial I was following (quadratec's) didn't mention it, so I thought I was okay not to. Today when I did it, I did lube it though.
    Last edited by rubixdude; 08-05-2019 at 02:39 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Starting to think I did over-tighten initially, and cracked the housing. I tightened and untightened a couple times with a ratchet (but didn't feel any resistance), then hand tightened it the final time. Maybe the damage had already been done? I don't have one of these tools that tells me the PSI I'm using...so i was pretty much guessing.
    Last edited by rubixdude; 08-05-2019 at 03:04 PM.