Follow Us On Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Watch us on YouTube Instagram
Register
Rock Spyder 4x4
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: JL Anti -Theft?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

JL Anti -Theft?

Greetings...I have a 2019 2 door soft top, standard JL.
    Today, at in a mall parking lot I was considering how easy it would be to steel this jeep....with the doors off and the soft top roof open a person can easily steel the jeep just by leaning in, putting the tranny into neutral and taking the parking brake off and pushing the jeep wherever as it does not have a steering wheel lock as keyed vehicles used to have. So how do you keep your jeep from being stolen.....listening MOPAR?

Regards,

lesk

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    So for curiousity sake, I went out and tried pushing my Jeep on level ground. It rolls.... Barely. And steering is near impossible for me to do it alone. Maybe 2 guys pushing and 2 guys steering it could be done..... Slowly until they got it to a spot to line it up to a flatbed. I'm not concerned. If they want to steal it that way then they deserve it.
    Now that I think of it, are you concerned with your sedan being stolen? A flatbed can easily pull in behind it and winch it up and be gone alot quicker than trying to push around a Jeep. You would need to park in very odd angles to avoid theft of any vehicle. This is when insurance comes into play.
    2016 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited (Cecilia) -Sold

JeepCentral Sponsor adrian@4lojeeps's Avatar
    Mentioned
    231 Post(s)
    If you have ever seen a vehicle actually get stolen it doesn't matter all the anti theft measures in place, if someone wants it they will take it quicker then you expect.

Your best bet is to let it go as easily as possible and have a GPS tracker on it to get it back with the least amount of damage.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    I don't leave any valuables inside when the tops off or doors are off and I leave the glovebox and console unlocked. I would rather them look in and find nothing then break the door off.

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk
    09 JKU Rubicon -- RK 3.5 -- 37" Toyo MT

OF4WD # 6644

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    That's what I do. Mine is never locked and nothing in it. If they want it, take it...

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Being a soft top your better to leave your doors unlocked anyway its a lot cheaper to let them take what they want than paying for a top as well. Ask me how I know

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks to all that replied.....I guess that there is no anti-theft device on our jeeps similar to a keyed steering lock (if parked with the steering wheel turned thieves can only push the jeep in circles as the steering wheel is locked on key removal). My wife is not so much concerned with theft as she is with minor vandalism....with this jeep anyone can lean or get in, take off the parking brake and push the jeep down a hill if parked on one. I guess I do not like the push button start....it opens the door to anyone who wants to pull a prank and used the jeep as a missile if parked on an incline......again, older jeeps with keyed starts could turn the steering wheel all the way to one side and take the key out locking the steering wheel and if the vehicle is pushed it would only go in circle.....and yes I do understand that if a thief was determined any vehicle would be an easy steal but this jeep is open to all cheap vandals to get their thrills.....I guess a steering wheel lock is order.

All the best to all that replied,

lesk

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    It’s not just Jeep, anything with a push-button start, and most cars with a ign. cylinder in the dash do not have steering locks anymore. I wouldn’t be too worried about it, unless someone hates you or you parked like a tool I doubt anything will ever happen.

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    I thought you had to have the key fab with you for you to be able to do anything with the vehicle?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DWG View Post
    I thought you had to have the key fab with you for you to be able to do anything with the vehicle?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
    You do..... But as the owner sits in a movie theatre or restaurant with the key fob in their pocket is an open invitation for someone to start the Jeep. I know you can drive quite a distance with no fob nearby, not sure how close you need to be to start one though.