Follow Us On Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Watch us on YouTube Instagram
Register
Grote LED
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CHAINSAW

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)

CHAINSAW

Ok let's talk chainsaws. Took mine to a shop today to get a bar and chain and they told me Its a 30-40 year old saw and that I won't find a new bar for it. So what saws do you guys use. It's mainly to keep in the jeep for fallen trees on the trail. GAS powered please
    OF4WD #6663
    2007 JK DECEPTICON 2008 JK BLUE 2015 JKU SKITTLES

JeepCentral Supporter
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Picked up a Poulan. 20 inch. Good price at TSC. Cut a few trees up. I think I payed 240 with taxes. Probably paid for itself or will soon. First chainsaw for me. Works good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    most any bar should fit on your old chainsaw, just have to match a chain with the bar and get the right sized file and guide, and do a quick sharpen every time you fill up. don't forget bar oil.

i used to have a poulan pro. but you know why they call it poulan, it's because to start it, you have to keep on pullin...

i have an old stihl 024 woodboss, made in germany. brand new, it's about a grand. picked it up used for 350, and it's been the best saw i've ever had. it's small, light and will cut all day long, as long as i keep the blade sharp. i heat with wood, so i need a good saw.

if you have to replace yours for some reason, look for a good used stihl. don't waste your money on a brand new cheap stihl ms170, you will just be throwing away your money. they're not much better than a poulan pro.

if you do get a poulan, put on a stihl chain. they have a cutting blade on every link.
    OF4WD #3875

Remembering our Fallen Heros

Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Stihl- as Roger said pick up a used older model

Mentioned
    392 Post(s)
    Picked up a refurb poulan from PA years ago. Stopped bringing it on the trail as it would die every time I put it on an angle and had to be left to warm up for at least 5 minutes before I could touch the trigger otherwise... It would die. You you seeing a pattern here? Basically I used a milwaukee sawsall with a 12" greenwood blade instead as the poulan was too annoying.

I just went to a milwaukee chainsaw so we will see how it does this year.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    I have Stihl MS 181 C-BE, MS 291 C-BE and MS 441 C. (not an issue I swear...)

If your saw runs, let me know the Make/model and I can let you know the bar/chain.
    Morgan - Moejeep
    OF4WD - 5369
    1985 - CJ-7 - 31" tires - 4.0L
    2006 - LJ - 35" tires - Metal Cloak - ARB Lockers

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Here is the number on the bar

20190514_231210.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    OF4WD #6663

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    you may be in luck. Oregon bar should fit your saw. nice that they are made in guelph too. and online it's only like 35 bux plus your chain.

https://www.loggerchain.com/Oregon-1...160MPBK095.htm
    OF4WD #3875

Remembering our Fallen Heros

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    You can get a 13", 15" or 16" bar...

16-058-325 --- That this means is: 16" bar .058" (thickness of the tooth) and .325 pitch

So .0.58" and .325 you have to match as it matches the sprocket. (some sprockets might handle the .050", but lets keep them the same as existing)

13" will cut faster (chain moves faster), but if you have a 16" case and it is what you use too there is no issues, you put 24" on there and you will bog down the saw while trying to cut.

The one Cage put should work.
    Then you need the chain to match, so a 21BPX066G Which is a .325 pitch, .058, with 66 drive links.

Was the shop trying to sell you a new saw? I am suprised they would say that they couldn't get a bar when your bar has the specs right on
    Morgan - Moejeep
    OF4WD - 5369
    1985 - CJ-7 - 31" tires - 4.0L
    2006 - LJ - 35" tires - Metal Cloak - ARB Lockers

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    She didn't even look at it. I will see what I can do after the weekend. Thanks guys for the help
    OF4WD #6663