Follow Us On Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Watch us on YouTube Instagram
Register
Staang's FAB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Rear Tire Carrier rattle?

Sorry to be a pest, I think this is my last newbie question for a while (I hope) as my JK is almost where I want it to be (for now).

As mentioned on previous posts I have a '17 Wrangler Sport, with Duratrac 255/70R18 tires and a full size spare (same tire). I'm getting a rattling sound driving around town that sounds like it's coming from the spare tire carrier.

I inspected it a little more closely today and I noticed that while the tire clears the rear bumper without any problems, but the stock rubber bump stop doesn't touch the tire. A quick google suggests that might be part of my problem.

Anyone have any thoughts on the best solution to reduce the rattle?

I looked at a new rear tire carrier, but I spent my upgrade budget on a bumper and those carriers looks $$$$.\

Thanks in advance!

Mentioned
    383 Post(s)
    You could get some extended bumps, having the tire hang out in space will indeed cause rattling.

http://azoffroading.com/blog/jeep-jk...op-extensions/

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    It should be contacting the rubber stops, unless of course you have aftermarket wheels. In which case yes, you need to have the tire contacting the rubbers, you can do a search of the interwebz for options, and there are extended stops also available. The extended stops usually thread into the tailgate and the last set I did needed to have the threads cut down a bit with an exacto knife because they were to thick to thread in.

JeepCentral Supporter
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thought about putting the spare in the back?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    WOW,

Thanks for the awesome feedback guys, and the DIY link. Weather is supposed to be nice this weekend, so I’m gonna spend some time sorting this out this weekend.

I really appreciate the help from this community.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    I had this problem, went to PA picked up some foamy rubbery stuff and made little pucks to fit in the gap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    I should really do this for the JK, always had a big gap with the 3.75 BS wheels
    His - NO | Hers - NO | Ours - 2014 JK
    OF4WD # 6788

Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Remove the rubber bumper add a spacer behind it , same thickness as gap ..use large stainless washers etc
    OF4WD member 7468

What we have here , is a failure to communicate

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I opted for the "1-1/2 in. x 1-1/4 in. flexible PVC coupling over the factory bump stop" idea listed in the link above and it's worked reasonably well. I was still getting a little rattle/creaking sound but not as pronounced as it was before. It's also plausible that my "Kargo Master Congo Sport Rack" is the culprit so I tightened all those bolts too. I may take the rear tire off and drive around to eliminate (or validate) the tire as a possible cause. I'm happy I closed the gap though, that seemed like an oversight to me initially.

Thanks again everyone.

Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    I went ghetto version and hacked some old bump stop extensions that I believe came with the lift kit for my ZJ.
    His - NO | Hers - NO | Ours - 2014 JK
    OF4WD # 6788