Follow Us On Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Watch us on YouTube Instagram
Register
Grote LED
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

Questions about Lifts - 2 post or 4 post

I will hopefully be getting a lift in the next couple of years... but will be pouring the garage floor this year.

What is better a 2 post or 4 post lift?

If I wanted to store a sports car on the lift, Would a 2 post work with some large C-Channels to create a platform for the tires, (with welded pegs to attach to the arms of the lift) ? or do I need a 4 post?

People who are using 4-post lifts; how are do changing tires and working on brakes, etc?
    Morgan - Moejeep
    OF4WD - 5369
    1985 - CJ-7 - 31" tires - 4.0L
    2006 - LJ - 35" tires - Metal Cloak - ARB Lockers

JeepCentral Sponsor - Just Jeeps adrian@justjeeps's Avatar
    Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moejeep View Post
    I will hopefully be getting a lift in the next couple of years... but will be pouring the garage floor this year.

What is better a 2 post or 4 post lift?

If I wanted to store a sports car on the lift, Would a 2 post work with some large C-Channels to create a platform for the tires, (with welded pegs to attach to the arms of the lift) ? or do I need a 4 post?

People who are using 4-post lifts; how are do changing tires and working on brakes, etc?
    I did a lot of research on this topic. Ultimately I will be going with a two post asymetrical one.

It seems it works like this. If you do any kind of serious work, drivetrain swaps, body off ect then a two post is the best as it has the least amount of things in the way, especially if you go overhead cables or lines. My dream hoist is a Mohawk simply put they seem to be the best made and the way the run the overhead hydraulic lines is 100% configurable. https://mohawklifts.com/automotive-l...post-lifts/a7/ Floor thickness needs to be taken into consideration as most of these are a permanent installation. Also you can use the individual arms for light crane work to unload trucks.

4 posts are relatively easily movable and the anchors are solely to keep them from shifting not as part of the strength. Hydraulic slide jacks are used to do wheel off tasks albeit at an additional cost to the actual hoist. The amount of hardware with them however takes up space as you essentially always have a vehicle size contraption in the garage. The nice thing with a 4 post is you always have a good work bench...lol

For my floor I went way overkill and the main body is 8" thick and 3000psi. If you know where you are putting the lift then you can do small sections for the posts. Typically minimum requirements for most lifts are 6" and 3000psi.

As for the storage question why not just leave it on the arms? I cant see a need for channels.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    I went with a 4 post that does not need to be lagged down at all. Reason is I have in floor heat and my jeep is really short it is scary on a 2 post, also my '52 gmc doesn't fit on a 2 post. as for work, trans work no prob for tires I have a 5' jack stand to lift it up and a jacking tray to put the stands on I made both, they work good. There is + and - for both 2 and 4 post.
    IMG_9607.jpg

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    As stated above a 2 post is best if you’re doing any kind of work, a 4 post is better for storage, wheel alignments, and exhaust work, not much else really. But yes you can do brake work and wheel changes with jacking beams, and the tracks are nice to use as a workbench, but it’s hard to do any suspension work on them, as well they take up a ton of space. If you want to store a car you can store it on a 2 post as long as the arms are in the proper spots, but I wouldn’t if it’s a unibody convertible as the body/frame will eventually bend.
    My fav are Rotart, excellent lifts, but I have used a Bend-Pak as well (available from Babco sales) and it worked pretty well, I used it for about two years and put it through a lot, help up fine although clearly a lesser quality unit compared to Rotary.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    If we are storing a car, it will be the fiat spider at this point in time.

I might be doing heated floors and don't want to play radiant floor roulette when drilling for the posts. That is why I am trying to figure out 2 post or 4 now.

I do understand what @4demud is saying about too short for 2 post, I have watched my CJ-7 fall off a 2 post lift at the shop it was only 1-2 ft when it fell.
    Morgan - Moejeep
    OF4WD - 5369
    1985 - CJ-7 - 31" tires - 4.0L
    2006 - LJ - 35" tires - Metal Cloak - ARB Lockers

Mentioned
    171 Post(s)
    I went with a 2 post. It takes up less space, and like said above it make things much easier to work on when doing anything other then oil changes or exhaust work.

But if I was planning on storing a vehicle on one, I would go with a 4post.

I bought an Elite 9000lbs it's made by Atlas. Any research I did was that they are all made in China. So buying Canadian or North American isn't really a choice except for the Mohawk, like Adrain posted.
    But you do pay for that. I believe almost double.

Also I only have 11.5' of ceiling clearance so I went with the cables that go across the floor.
    And I can still pretty much stand up in most spots underneath. And I am 6'1".

I dont really have many good pictures, but here are a couple from when I 1st set it up.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by DWG; 03-15-2019 at 10:31 PM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 4demud View Post
    I went with a 4 post that does not need to be lagged down at all. Reason is I have in floor heat and my jeep is really short it is scary on a 2 post, also my '52 gmc doesn't fit on a 2 post. as for work, trans work no prob for tires I have a 5' jack stand to lift it up and a jacking tray to put the stands on I made both, they work good. There is + and - for both 2 and 4 post.
    IMG_9607.jpg
    That's awesome
    My other jeep is a jeep.

Mentioned
    182 Post(s)
    2 post for the win. I hate working on a 4 post, no matter what job it is. It always seems to be in the way.
    OF4WD Member-7534
    '99 XJ- Retired
    '97 TJ- Sold
    '89 Camaro RS- New Hotness

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    My boyfriend does lifts- installs, services, etc. he said that if you’re going to be parking the fiat on top, the type of hoist you want depends on what you’re parking underneath. The ones which tend to go high enough to store a vehicle under them are the 4 posts (and as Adrian said, you would have hydraulic bridge jacks which allow you to raise the vehicle when you are working on it). The typical height that you have under a 2 post is only about 6 feet off the ground, with the tires ha gong below that. Just something to keep in mind if you go with a two post.
    BECAUSE JEEP

OF4WD #8014

There is always room for another Jeep in the driveway

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    i have an older Bear 2 post in my small garage. but i am looking into a 4 post for the bigger garage. this way i can have a project on the 4 post, and still have the 2 post for quick work on the daily drivers.

not sure what i would choose if i can only have one, i don't have any experience on a 4 post yet. my 2 post has the lines running above and also has a roller gantry for doing engine lifts.
    OF4WD #3875

Remembering our Fallen Heros