Follow Us On Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Watch us on YouTube Instagram
Register
Canadian Tire
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    182 Post(s)
    Yup, I'd say master. Make sure to bench bleed it before you install it!!
    OF4WD Member-7534
    '99 XJ- Retired
    '97 TJ- Sold
    '89 Camaro RS- New Hotness

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    I was gonna ask you about that. I take it bench bleeding is a must then lol
    OF4WD #8418

Mentioned
    182 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boris210 View Post
    I was gonna ask you about that. I take it bench bleeding is a must then lol
    Not a must, but it is very highly recommended. If you don't you'll be pumping the pedal for ages before getting anything at the wheels. Clamp it in a vise, run a couple lines back into the reservoir and pump it with a screwdriver untill you see no bubbles at all come out of the lines. Then bolt it in place, remove short lines and hook up yours in the truck then bleed as normal
    OF4WD Member-7534
    '99 XJ- Retired
    '97 TJ- Sold

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    My original plan was to install it and bleed it the same way I have been (lines from ports to reservoir), but if youd still recommend bend bleeding it I'll do that.
    OF4WD #8418

Mentioned
    182 Post(s)
    My original plan was to install it and bleed it the same way I have been (lines from ports to reservoir), but if youd still recommend bend bleeding it I'll do that.
    I've never installed one without bench bleeding it first. Just makes life easier.
    OF4WD Member-7534
    '99 XJ- Retired
    '97 TJ- Sold

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    bench bleeding will push the piston farther than you can with the peddle getting all the bubbles out.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 4demud View Post
    bench bleeding will push the piston farther than you can with the peddle getting all the bubbles out.
    You aren’t supposed to bottom out the master, there is actually a tool for the job that has adjustable stops on it to avoid it bottoming out in the chamber.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Largefarva View Post
    You aren’t supposed to bottom out the master, there is actually a tool for the job that has adjustable stops on it to avoid it bottoming out in the chamber.
    How do I know how far to push in without bottoming out? Is there something I could measure on the master as a guideline to how far I should push in? If this master bleeder tool has adjustable stops it wouldnt do me much good anyways, until I can figure out where to adjust the stops to.
    OF4WD #8418

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    How do I know how far to push in without bottoming out? Is there something I could measure on the master as a guideline to how far I should push in? If this master bleeder tool has adjustable stops it wouldnt do me much good anyways, until I can figure out where to adjust the stops to.
    It’s not crucial to have and I’ve honestly only seen one other one other than mine. As long as you push slowly you should be fine, I think the reason the tool was made was to avoid causing seal damage when hitting the end of travel too hard.
    Before I got the tool I had never had an issue bleeding a master but the tool was available so I grabbed one. But if you have the old master you could make a tool using the old master to show where the end is, then put spacers on the screwdriver blade or just mark a line on it so you don’t go to far.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Good call using the old master, I'll give that a try. Should arrive tomorrow, heres hoping I can bleed these darn brakes finally!
    OF4WD #8418