Follow Us On Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Watch us on YouTube Instagram
Register
Staang's FAB
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

shovel/axe mount help

Trying to pick away at some small things like the mounting of my jack, shovel and axe. For the Hi Lift, I don't like the outside mounts, and the inside ones always come across the top of the tailgate, and won't work with my dog's crate, as I really should be carrying the jack all the time. Don't want it getting caught on anything on the trail, and don't want exposed to elements. Not sure if anyone's seen this one, but I think I'm going with the Crooked River mount, as it exactly where I want to place the jack, out of they way, inside, and not blocking useful area:

4612065077.jpg

For the shovel and axe, I want to mount outside across the rear tire carrier provisions for my XRC2:

image_14053.jpg

Just not sure of the best mounting hardware, any ideas? I want to go horizontal across the "wings" so I can keep them both tight and without the ends sticking out anywhere that will get caught.

I like the quick first rubber clamps, cheap and look strong, but worry on roads if one ever came loose or failed that I don't want to throw an axe at a vehicle behind me. Any recommendations for this? Worst case I could bring up the axe and shovel inside, and mount with the quick fists while on the tail, but would prefer a more robust and secured option.

By the way, anyone have the Krazy Beaver shovel? I'd love one of those. No one in Canada sells some of these cool niche company products through, and then it gets bloody pricey trying to justify some of them. That mount alone is going to cost me $180 CAD to my door!

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    If you are going to get the Hi-lift mount why not try to mount the shovel & axe below the jack. It looks like there is room below the jack in the first photo.

you might just need put a cross-members or 2 between the brackets.
    As for attaching the shovel & axe:
    https://www.amazon.ca/Quick-Fist-Ori...ick+fist+clamp
    I have never used them but I think some people do...
    Morgan - Moejeep
    OF4WD - 5369
    1985 - CJ-7 - 31" tires - 4.0L
    2006 - LJ - 35" tires - Metal Cloak - ARB Lockers

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    I bought some last summer to mount a shovel on my rear carrier. I stole the idea off someone who used conduit clamps to mount the Quick Fists to a roof rack. The issue I had was not with the Quick fists themselves, but the conduit clamps coming loose after the second day on the trails.

This year I was thinking of either switching to cheap light mount clamps, or spending more time figuring out securing the conduit clamps, but either way I am confident the Quick Fists will hold. My only concern with an axe outside would be that it's an axe and any kid could undo the rubber strap while your waiting your 40 minutes in line for your morning coffee at Tims.

Mentioned
    201 Post(s)
    Can these be mounted on the underside of your hood maybe ...lots of room under there ..
    Attached Images Attached Images
    OF4WD member 7468

What we have here , is a failure to communicate

Mentioned
    369 Post(s)
    He doesn't have lots of room under the jk 3.6L hood.

What about clamping it all across the toll cage behind the sound bar?
    Another option I've see is to wratchet strap the shovel to the rear tire, just run the hooks through the rim and use the friction from the tire to hold it.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moejeep View Post
    If you are going to get the Hi-lift mount why not try to mount the shovel & axe below the jack. It looks like there is room below the jack in the first photo.
    I thought of that, but that's really encroaching on that rear cargo space, the shovel will likely get used the most and be dirty, and I have the provisions on the outside I'd like to use. The jack I should be carrying at all times, not just offroading, but the others will be on only for battle.

Quote Originally Posted by D-Dog View Post
    I bought some last summer to mount a shovel on my rear carrier. I stole the idea off someone who used conduit clamps to mount the Quick Fists to a roof rack. The issue I had was not with the Quick fists themselves, but the conduit clamps coming loose after the second day on the trails.

This year I was thinking of either switching to cheap light mount clamps, or spending more time figuring out securing the conduit clamps, but either way I am confident the Quick Fists will hold. My only concern with an axe outside would be that it's an axe and any kid could undo the rubber strap while your waiting your 40 minutes in line for your morning coffee at Tims.
    I will only have these attached when on trips, so not worried about that. BTW, read people that are worried about that were just doing bicycle locks around it all when hooked up, you could always look into that.

If you look at my tire carrier, I have smaller holes for the rotopax that I believe I can straight mount the quick fists too, two rows perfect for this job. Again, I was just worried about the strength of these, but I can store them inside when on the highway. Would be worried a high speed rear end on my part could snap the rubber and send a long axe through my head. Would like to avoid that setup.

Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    Can these be mounted on the underside of your hood maybe ...lots of room under there ..
    There is less than zero room under the hood for the 3.6 JK. I had this discussion with a friend once, telling me to mount this and that under there until he lifted my hood. Barely room for pizza on the trail.

Mentioned
    201 Post(s)
    Oh come on...gotta be some room ..has anyone measured or just guessing
    OF4WD member 7468

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrXshun View Post
    A small hatchet and a garden trowel will fit fine to the left of the battery... you don't even need to strap them in it is so tight in there.

I bet I can get a full size shovel in under the hood of the LJ.
    Morgan - Moejeep
    OF4WD - 5369
    1985 - CJ-7 - 31" tires - 4.0L
    2006 - LJ - 35" tires - Metal Cloak - ARB Lockers

Mentioned
    201 Post(s)
    Holy
    OF4WD member 7468