Follow Us On Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Watch us on YouTube Instagram
Register
Just Jeeps
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

Family Friendly Wheeling: Thinking about selling a TJ to move over to a 4 door JK ...

On the weekend I took my 2 year old son for his first Jeep ride with the top down and he loved it. But, by the time I had his car seat in there, there was precious little room for anything else. We certainly couldn't wheel with any kind of proper assortment of backup parts, tools or anything in there that really should come along on the trail. There simply wouldn't be enough room. I think a trip up north to the trails with enough stuff to keep everyone happy would be hell on wheels with the current setup.

This is what I'm thinking: sell my car, sell the TJ and get a JKU of some sort. I would have to see how budget looks to determine new vs. used, or if I could swing a Rubi.

Am I nuts to think I should replace the TJ with a JKU? Given that he's still little, any trails we would do would be suitable for a stock JK with some better tires or a stock Rubi. The TJ is pretty capable - it's made the top of Green's with no winching, two of the Timbers, etc. Might be overkill to keep it?

Is driving a $40k vehicle on the trail that you're making payments on as crazy as it sounds?

Looking for feedback from anyone else that has made the move.
    My name is Brett.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Family Friendly Wheeling: Thinking about selling a TJ to move over to a 4 door JK ...

There's lots of Junkies doing exactly that right now.
    I wheel Edgrrrrr but I also don't go crazy either. There's always a chance something's going to break. How will you commute if that happens?
    Just something to think about.

Sent from the driver's seat

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    100_2027.jpgMithila FINAL.jpg

Had the TJ for three years...loved it dearly. Had one daughter and dog...no room for anything really. Got the JKU and one more daughter and one more dog. Now no room again...but the decision to wheel or use as a daily driver or both is a story as old as time (isn't it?). I think it comes down to some simple math...the more you wheel the less likely you can use it as a daily driver. I put probably only 10,000 kms a year on the JKU but do use it if not daily, then at least every couple of days. Not sure if that helped in any way...
    OF4WD#6476

JeepCentral Sponsor adrian@4lojeeps's Avatar
    Mentioned
    235 Post(s)
    I'd never wheel my daily unless I had a backup vehicle.

That being said I love our shop JK size and have had no issues where I wished it was smaller. You can haul more gear, it's way more stable and they ride and drive better, oh and there more powerful and better on fuel. The only downfall to them is the financial aspect of having a new or newer vehicle when compared to a TJ.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    I have done both over the years so ill toss in my 2 cents for what its worth...

I used to have a few ZJ,XJ,YJ well I had 11 in total actually as a late teenager I had a car trailer and towed them around with my DD each one of them was under $5000 and I beat the crap out of them and fixed them as cheap as possible and had fun with them.

It was nice having a DD and a toy on a trailer but also a pain when others would finish a trail rip down the road and carry on when I had to load up blah blah blah

Then I left the jeep scene for a while because people got really political and annoying as fawk and got into the muscle car scene realized how much of a douche most of them were so got myself a brand new JKU in 2012 and left the car scene

Jeep was my DD until 2014 its a Sahara for no lockers went from stock to 35's 2" lift then 35s 3.5" then 37s 4" lift then 38s 5" lift.... all while being a DD I drove that thing everywhere all the time to all the trails I did greens with 2" spacers and 35s open open no issues at all didn't need a winch they are capable vehicles if you know how to actually drive

People are often worried about taking a 40g jeep down the trail and damages, well how much damage does your $8000 tj get in a year on the trail? you can expect to damage the same shit in any mild jeep, u-joints, bushings, steering components, scratched paint other than that not much goes wrong if you don't do something stupid like try a buggy climb

If your fam really likes going with you as a group and you need the space it seems like a great plan I would just go look for a 2013 JKU rubi for like 25 grand though no need for a 2016 nothing really changed over last few years to make it worth it

Even having a jku I need more room, by the time you have fluids, laptops, tools, recovery gear, then add camping here and guns there is no room at all and that's just me and the girlfriend not a family I even use a hitch basket to hold coolers...

On the trail the extra wheel base is a god sent it makes the ride so much smoother climbs so much easier but there are spots a TJ shines and I cant go..

I enjoy trading guys on the trails and driving theirs and let them take mine and I always want mine back asap haha so I would say definitely get a JKU but wouldn't bother with brand new

If you wanna take mine for a rip lemme know man it will put a smile on your face haha
    2012 JKU, One tons, 42's, caged, locked, Oris, Long arm, Other goodies!!

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    I will just throw this in, keep the dd and cut the tj in half and stretch it out to desired length. Best of both worlds.
    Check our new website!

http://trailheadcustomfab.ca/

OF4WD # 5678

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Head View Post
    I will just throw this in, keep the dd and cut the tj in half and stretch it out to desired length. Best of both worlds.
    If you have the means to do this at home in a shop I am with trevor 100%!!! build what you have into a buggy machine one ton it make more room and so on... but I couldn't justify paying ridiculous shop rates to do that build better off with a JKU than hahaha
    2012 JKU, One tons, 42's, caged, locked, Oris, Long arm, Other goodies!!

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    These are some great suggestions! Except for the stretch, I'd get carried away and end up with something I couldn't ever drive on the street.

Too bad the better engine didn't come along until 2012. If I could get an older JK with the preferable engine that might be the winner cost wise with less fear of damaging an expensive daily driver. I did DD my TJ for years, and have to admit the peace of mind of a separate DD makes any difficult trail WAY more fun.

To complicate things, I am dead set on moving to Alberta and think an out of province inspection on a modified vehicle might be more trouble than it's worth.

I think the writing is on the wall for the TJ ...
    My name is Brett.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    I aint never been in a JK and no desire to do so... I have enjoyed my TJ since I got the "old girl" now since 1997 and have loved her ever since...
    Sure the space inside aint great, the ride makes you bounce up n down on a flat road none the less.
    And it is a complete pain in the ass to travel with it in any respect whatsoever.
    STILL... I wouldn't have it any other way.
    She taught me a lot about packing LITE, she taught me a lot about enjoying streaching your legs after a crampt drive.
    But, she also gave me memories I wont forget and why she will never go away from us.

Some people camp in a tent and call it camping, others camp in a 40' toy hauler and call it glamping...

To each his own my friend, to each his own.

My old TJ will always remain my baby.
    "Sustaining our future on the trails requires ALL of us to take on a little bit of the task"

OF4WD #4704

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I've had a lot of Jeeps and vehicles in general. I tend to pursue whatever Jeep I'm most passionate/obsessed about at the time: CJ, MJ, YJ, TJ, LJ, XJ and around and around I go. I've been hooked on LJs for the last few years and have no regret with my current one but I have a truck to tow it for long trips and that makes wheeling more enjoyable. Having two vehicles is great for piece of mind and practicality, however, it's a lot more maintenance for a truck, trailer, and Jeep - plus I probably have more invested in the 3 than if I just bought a modest JK. I still daily drive the LJ any day it's not raining throughout the summer, but I often think to myself I wish I had a JK that I would drive all the time, be more comfortable in, and seat 4 people... my issue is the addiction. I would still get other Jeeps to tinker with and I might not be able to leave the JK too mild for too long... so everything starts as a downward spiral again.
    Kids are in my future and that's what I think the tipping point will be for me to get into a JK, as long as my commute at the time can handle it.

Based on your situation, sounds like the JK would really fit the bill better than the TJ and I know you'd like the creature comforts of the JK. Anyone that tells you a TJ is just as good or makes fun of a JK for some strange reason, either hasn't been in one or can't admit to themselves driving down the highway in their Jeep is less comfortable than a JK. If you wait a while longer, the JL will be released and then you have the choice of that or perhaps a more affordable JK if prices drop at that time (though I'm somewhat doubtful considering how much value Jeeps hold these days).

At the end of the day, it's a personal choice. Or just flip a coin...