PDA

View Full Version : BUYER BEWARE of UNDERSIZED TIRES & DECEPTIVE MARKETING PRACTICES

PhilW_JK08
03-20-2014, 09:11 AM
Wheelin’ season is about to begin soon; for many of us this often means upgrades often including those “bigger n better” tires! With so many to choose from, some names really stand out for quality & performance, but what about price and value for your money?
As a wheeler on a budget, I don’t mind paying a good dollar for a good product but I want what I paid for. I feel I did not get what I paid for with Dick Cepek tires.. BEWARE of UNDERSIZED TIRES!!!
What they do is build a tire, then come up with some arbitrary tolerance variance that suits THEM & gives them permission to stand firmly behind their undersized product. That’s right wheelers, for Dick Cepek it appears 33.5” is their new 35”. Catching on yet? I just paid $2000.00 damn good money for a set of five “supposedly” 35” Dick Cepek Crushers BUT my JK Wrangler rolled out of the shop on 33-1/2” instead??? WTH?!?!
DICK’s response: “Dick Cepek tires are manufactured to a +/- 4% tolerance policy” 4% ?!?!
That equals an approx. 1-1/2” variance on a 35” diameter tire! Really?! Their published size is 34.6” but do the math folks, that 34.6” quickly shrinks down to 33.2” which means the 33.5” tires I’m stuck with are slightly over their minimum end of tolerance, so I have no case. Nice move DICK. I call this a DECEPTIVE MARKETING PRACTICE! Those tolerances are conspicuously absent from their web site and any dealer site I’ve found.
So what’s the big deal? Well aside from the disappointment and the feeling I’m left with of being RIPPED OFF imagine for a minute I bought a set of 33” tires and got the high end of tolerance (YEAH right like that would ever happen? Anyone get larger than the paid for? Anyone?, I didn’t think so….) So If I bought 33” and got a touch larger I would end up with larger tires than I have at approx $300 less money? Again, I feel I have been RIPPED OFF BY DICK CEPEK.
Furthermore Dicky C and their unknown dealer who sold them to my local Tire shop were unwilling to compensate me for the higher price I paid. “Not happy? Return them, we really don’t care”
Seems I was an easy mark for what I see as a manufacturer’s very deliberate deceptive marketing plan with a hidden agenda to deceive the consumer. Measure BEFORE you mount tires.
Phil W.

hustler
03-20-2014, 11:14 AM
I can see you're new here, and potentially new to buying flotation/offroad tires in general.

Take one off the Jeep, air up to max pressure and measure it on the garage floor. Betcha it's 34.6" +/- 4%.

Bad Karma
03-20-2014, 11:21 AM
I can see you're new here, and potentially new to buying flotation/offroad tires in general.

Take one off the Jeep, air up to max pressure and measure it on the garage floor. Betcha it's 34.6" +/- 4%.

EXACTLY right.

True
03-20-2014, 12:28 PM
Tire size comparisons should be made off the vehicle like hustler said, otherwise you're looking at too many variables. It is true that some manufacturers tend to run on the low side of what they advertise.

You could have 12 people with the same size and brand of tire put them on their vehicles then measure and you'd probably get close to 12 different measurements. Given air pressure differences, vehicle weights etc.

PhilW_JK08
03-20-2014, 01:49 PM

New here but not that new to manufacturing and marketing games being played,,,,, I think you've not quite grasped what I have said, so I will rephrase;

Yes they are within spec 34.6" minus the 4% - that is exactly what I am saying - what you may have missed is that means the tires are measuring 33.5" which to me is unsatisfactory as the manufacturer does not post this possibilty you will end up with smaller than expected tires - warn me ahead what to expect is fair and acceptable, surprise me later and that's unacceptable & what i am terming "deceptive marketing by omission"

And yes thx for the other tips folks - measured "free of vehicle, at 40psi and on 9" rim" as stipulated by Dick Cepek.

The tires meet their specifications - as I said technically I have no arguement - I am just saying that their +/- 4% is far too much leeway and i am disappointed to now have a set of 33-1/2" tires for the price of 35" which other manufacturers - goodyear on a friends vehile measure up to the 34.5" they publish.

Hope that re-write clarifies for everyone.

PW

PhilW_JK08
03-20-2014, 01:52 PM
Agree totally there will always be variables however not based on vehicle weights or air pressure IF you are following what the manufacurer recommends - as I just added to my post. To obtain a correct & acceptable measurement "the tire must be measured free & clear of the vehicle, at 40psi and on 9" rims" (for their 35x12.5x17) "

Moose
03-20-2014, 02:01 PM
:smile:...who cares..... LETS WHEEL..LOL...

stugots
03-20-2014, 03:23 PM
Thats it... im down sizing my 35's to 31's. LETS WHEEL.

8Ball_LJR
03-20-2014, 04:10 PM
It’s cold out maybe it’s shrinkage just like on the Seinfeld episode.
I have the same brand of tires and mine are only 1/2 off on Diameter so I lose 1/4" of clearance, I will lose more once the tire wear down half way.

farookismail
03-20-2014, 05:24 PM
I understand your frustration. you did not get what you paid for. but now that its done everything happens for a reason so think of it this was:

its not the size of the tire that matters its how you wheel them. hell my 35's are rally 42's in my mind so I wheel like I got 42's on. just have fun with it.

DWG
03-20-2014, 05:34 PM
I have said this before about the tire not being what it is claimed to be. But most tire sites have an actually tire height
in there spec's somewhere you have to read the fine print

JeepGreenJon
03-20-2014, 06:14 PM
Another thing to note in Dick's defense. Almost NO 35" tire will actually measure 35" from ANY manufacturer. Same with 37's, in fact I have heard of many 37's that actually measure out to 35" . Its the nature of the beast. Also like true said you could get different measurements from the same size tire and manufacturer made on a different day. This is why tire shops say, DO NOT BUY ALL YOUR TIRES SEPARATELY AT DIFFERENT TIMES. Buyer beware, sure but just be aware ALL tire company's have variances like that. If it makes you feel any better your 35's arent smaller then other peoples. :)

grey
04-08-2014, 12:22 PM
My 32s measured out at 31"
My 35s measure out at about 34.5"
My 34s measure out at 33.75"
They're all made by different manufacturers.... All "undersized" even more so when mounted on the vehicle
Anothing thing to consider is that a tire will measure slightly taller on an 8" wide rim, than a 10" rim.
Next time you're around other jeeps with flotation sized tires, you might find that they aren't that "small"

adrian@4lojeeps
04-08-2014, 12:44 PM
What model tire did you purchase?