PDA

View Full Version : Fenix PD35 Flashlight

Bullwinkle
02-09-2014, 02:55 PM
Fenix PD35 Flashlight
SRP is $100

The Story
I was at the Sportsman Show on Friday volunteering in the OF4WD booth. I spent some time talking to a gentleman about off-roading and Jeeps as he was interested in getting into this sport. Some time later in the day he came back to say thank you to me for being so helpful and handed my these 2 packages, a Fenix Pd35 and a bag of accessories. I tried to refuse but he insisted I have them. As it turns out, this is a very good high quality light. So with all the gadget guys on here and the need for a good light in your Jeep for camping,off-roading,night-time roadside repairs I thought I'd do a write up.

The Write Up

First impressions of the product/packaging.
Good packaging, solid box with typical molded plastic insert with the light fitted snugg enough to keep it solid. Pertinant info/specs up front on cover and complete light visible.
Inside was a wrist lanyard, 2 spare O-rings, spare switch boot, holster and the light

The Light- Fenix PD35
Looks/fit/finish are all very well done on this light. At only 87grams/5.5" it does not feel light do to the quality machining on the knurling and cooling fins that are square and crisp but don't feel sharp. The threads are also done to same quality/feel. The On/Off switch is easy to use, tried it outside last night with gloves on without issue.

The Technical Stuff

Technical Parameters
·Cree XM-L 2 (U2) LED with a lifespan of 50,000 hours
·Uses one 18650 rechargeable Li-ion battery or two 3V CR123A Lithium batteries
·139mm (Length) x 25.4mm (Diameter)
·87-gram weight (excluding the battery)
·Digitally regulated output - maintains constant brightness
·Low-voltage warning function to remind you to replace the battery
·Reverse polarity protection guards against improper battery installation
·over-heat protection to avoid high-temperature of the surface
·Anti-roll, slip-resistant body design
·Tactical tail switch with momentary-on function
·Side switch on the head
·Made of durable aircraft-grade aluminum
·Premium Type III hard-anodized anti-abrasive finish
·Toughened ultra-clear glass lens with anti-reflective coating
-Peak beam intensity 8600cd /185 meters max throw
-Waterproof- IPX-8,underwater 2m

User Interface
Using the PD35 is easy to remember and convenient.

Five constant brightness levels Eco-Low-Mid-High-Turbo and one flashing mode-Strobe.
Pressing the tail switch lightly activates the light momentary.
Full press activates the light constantly.Full press again to turn the light off.
The lighting mode can be changed easily by pressing the side switch.
Strobe can be activated by press and holding the side switch for 1sec from any mode.
Press the side switch again to return to the mode used before Strobe.
There is instant(fast) memory for the last used mode.
The memory is really quick and when you turn off the light you know for sure what mode will start next time.
The response from the electronic driver is excellent.Different modes can be cycled really fast.

Eco 10 Lumens /140h
Low 45 Lumens /29h
Mid 170 Lumens /7h45min
High 450 Lumens /2h30min
Turbo 850 Lumens /1h15min
Strobe 850 lumens-dual frequency

The modes are well spaced.The Turbo is extremely bright.The Low and Eco are very useful when a long runtime is needed.
5 modes are quite enough choice for most of the time,but my opinion is that a 2 lumens eco mode would be very useful in certain situations.

As a high performance light,the PD35 accumulates significant heat while at Turbo output.To protect the light and battery,PD35 drops down into the High brightness level after running at Turbo output for about 5 minutes.
There is another step down to Mid brightness level after about 30 minutes working on High mode.
These steps down are time controlled,so If you want again the higher mode you just have to reset the light(If the flashlight is to hot,reset is not recommend and can cause damage to the flashlight).

The flashlight is lightweight which makes it easy to carry and use,but also means that the thickness of the aluminum is not enough to manage the heat from the LED,running at maximum current for extended period of time.This protection is really necessary here.
Fenix PD35 has also a low-voltage warning function.
When the voltage level drops below the preset level,the flashlight is programmed to downshift to a lower brightness level.When this happens in Eco output mode ,the flashlight blinks three times every five minutes to remind you to replace the battery.

The brightness is current controlled,so there's no any sign of pwm.

My measurements

Peak beam intensity 11000 Lux measured at 1 meter distance.
Current Draw
U battery=4,16V
I turbo= 2,88A
I High= 980mA
I Mid= 300mA
I Low= 87mA
I Eco= 28mA

Accessories

Also received a bag full of this stuff, 3 colored lenses red/blue/green, and a Traffic Wand
Again good snugg packaging to keep the product safe.
Interchangable lenses can be handy (I work backstage theater in the dark) and they seem to snap on/off easy enough but grip well enough on that I wouldn't worry about it falling off.
The Traffic Wand,(save the comments) is made of what feels like solid quality plastic. Doesn't feel like it will shatter/brake the first time you drop it. Fits well on the light too without putting it out of balance. When I put this on I was wondering what I would ever do with it. Well I turned it on and new right away that this will be awesome for night-time trail guiding. definately going in my kit now.

Guess that's it for now, I'll get some night pic's of the light in use up as soon as I can

True
02-09-2014, 06:23 PM
Looks like a snazzy light and accessories! Can't argue with the price either ;)

Southpw
02-09-2014, 06:59 PM
Nice writeup. Any idea of retail value? I like the size of it and the ability to adjust brightness.

Bullwinkle
02-09-2014, 07:22 PM
Nice writeup. Any idea of retail value? I like the size of it and the ability to adjust brightness.

Sorry forgot that, added SRP to the top. Amazon says $100

caged
02-09-2014, 08:07 PM
that's a nice light.

MEC sells it for $75

here (http://www.mec.ca/shop/?q=fenix%20pd35)

Dreadnaught
02-09-2014, 08:08 PM
Nice light. We've been using Fenix lights for years. Great quality and very bright. Did you catch the name of the guy that you were talking to Rob? Just wondering if it was Alex. When we bought our lights he was the only Canadian rep and was selling them out of his house.

Bullwinkle
02-09-2014, 08:57 PM
Nice light. We've been using Fenix lights for years. Great quality and very bright. Did you catch the name of the guy that you were talking to Rob? Just wondering if it was Alex. When we bought our lights he was the only Canadian rep and was selling them out of his house.

His name was Sergei

Dreadnaught
02-09-2014, 11:06 PM
Just read all of the specs you posted. 850 lumens on high wow. If you ever get stuck on the trail you could just shine that light straight up to signal for help. " Look it's the Bullwinkle signal" :looking:

Drizit
02-09-2014, 11:51 PM
We need to get him a moose cutout to hold in front of the light

tank9c1
02-10-2014, 09:53 AM
I need to get a few of those...

Roblaza
02-10-2014, 01:05 PM
Is this unit rechargeable or is it straight battery powered? I saw on a little while ago that promised the same lumens but was chargeable by way or cigarette lighter... I'm interested in finding one for the jeep

Bullwinkle
02-10-2014, 06:33 PM
Is this unit rechargeable or is it straight battery powered? I saw on a little while ago that promised the same lumens but was chargeable by way or cigarette lighter... I'm interested in finding one for the jeep

This is battery powered. You can probably get a rechargable battery of the right style, but I doubt that they will have the umph required for the power of the light.

DFT
02-10-2014, 06:40 PM
It is stated in your description that there is a rechargeable option.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

Drizit
02-10-2014, 07:08 PM
Yep the 18650 is a rechargeable lithium ion battery. You just need the right charger.

Btw if you plan to buy one of those batteries let me know. One of the guys at work has a link to get em for a good price.

MorePaint
02-10-2014, 08:06 PM
looks like he really hooked you up!
slick light! must be really expensive light!
i want to see this thing!

i just picked up a Genesis. and its amazing. but only 300 Lumens. $60

also got a Genesis head lamp 550lumens, insane light!.

800 lumens must be intense.

Leyland
02-10-2014, 10:22 PM
Great write up! smoking deal too... I seen their product at the sportsmans show this year also, one was sitting in a fishbowl under water all day.

Hey, now you can use that traffic wand to guid us Jeepers down the trail at night:Jeep2:

MorePaint
02-11-2014, 12:12 AM
Oh jeez don't give drizit any ideas!

Drizit
02-11-2014, 12:14 AM
What???

MorePaint
02-11-2014, 12:15 AM
Nothin! :eek:

Lol traffic wand at night directing jeeps.

DFT
02-11-2014, 07:25 AM
Don't forget his safety vest

Leyland
02-11-2014, 11:21 AM
I will bring him a safety vest... good call

Drizit
02-11-2014, 11:28 AM
I will bring him a safety vest... good call

Good thing between jorge and MorePaint's driving it's the only way I stand a chance of survival out there.

MorePaint
02-11-2014, 11:34 AM
LOLLLLL

DFT
02-11-2014, 12:19 PM
Good thing between jorge and MorePaint's driving it's the only way I stand a chance of survival out there.

This I don't doubt.

Drizit
04-10-2014, 04:24 PM
Picked one up at the outdoors show and paid the $100 for it. Totally happy with the results

redxj
04-10-2014, 06:43 PM
$100 for a safety vest??:eek::o

MorePaint
04-10-2014, 07:03 PM

:hilarious:

DWG
04-10-2014, 07:46 PM