PDA

View Full Version : Warn 88900 Medium-Duty Recovery Kit Initial Thoughts

True
01-22-2014, 01:00 AM
Manufacturer: WARN

Price: $199.99 CAD

Description:

MEDIUM-DUTY WINCHING ACCESSORY KIT

Our most popular winching accessory kit has been upgraded so you can get even more from your WARN winch. Designed for winch capacities to 10,000 lbs. (4536 kg).

20,000 lbs. (9072 kg) maximum capacity snatch block, with grease port.
2" x 8' (5cm x 2.4m) tree trunk protector, rated to 14,400 lbs. (8165 kg).
2" x 30' (5cm x 9.1m) standard recovery strap, rated to 14,400 lbs. (8165 kg).
3/4" (20mm) D-shackles (2x).
Heavyweight denier carry bag.
WARN winching gloves.

Our "NEW" Warn recovery kit showed up at the door today. After a few seasons of wheeling with some ageing and missing equipment we figured it was time to splurge for a complete kit. I didn't want just any kit though after doing some research online. There seem to be plenty of these all in one recovery kits from various companies, but the key difference aside from price was quality. Certain components of other kits were either obviously very cheaply made or failed when they shouldn't have based on comments and reviews. I won't use names of companies or their products that I compared as I am focusing this thread on the first thoughts out of the box of this Warn kit.

After cutting a couple tie straps, I got to see what this kit was really made of. At first glance a fairly quality carrying bag, a pair of synthetic leather with kevlar winching gloves, a BEEFY 20,000lb greasable snatch block, two 3/4" shackles, a 2"x8' 14,400lb tree strap and your standard Warn 2"x30' 14,400lb recovery strap.

I'll start with the D ring shackles. Pretty run of the mill equipment here, the only difference being that they have the WARN logo cast into the shackle. It never hurts to have extra of these around.

The snatch block was the thing that really caught my eye. It feels super solid and up to the task of some heavy strain. Rated at 20,000lbs and greasable this is one of those items you want in your kit being built with quality in mind.

Gloves. Who doesn't need another pair of decent work or winching gloves? Included are what seems like a one size fits all pair. WARN has 3 sizes available separately but I haven't looked to see what size these are. They fit and feel nice though, I'm sure I'll be using these for more than just winching. A few more details on them:

Durable synthetic leather with Kevlar reinforcement resists abrasion
Extra reinforcements provide superior knuckle and fingertip protection
Shock absorbing palm
Terry cloth sweat wipe
Neoprene wrist and pull strap

A standard 2"x30' WARN nylon webbing recovery strap rated at 14,400lbs. This is a nice upgrade over one of the shorter straps we have, where that extra 10 feet will really come in handy. Another thing I liked was that in the event the webbing gets damaged there is a red warning marker inside to let you know.

Another thing that I liked and helped complete this kit was the tree protector strap. Some other kits offer similar straps but have shorter lengths. This is fine depending on your application but trees come in many shapes and sizes. The last thing I want is to have a 6ft strap that could potentially be too short when I really need it. I think we'll be happier with the 2"x8' 14,400lb strap.

Last but not least is the bag to hold all your wonderful recovery equipment — and more! There is plenty of extra carrying space inside the bag for other equipment, tools or winch related gear. Including 4 internal pockets and 3 separate Velcro external pockets. The base has a solid pad in it to keep the bag sturdy and strong even when loaded up with heavy gear.

All of the above wouldn't be complete without some WARN documentation, warranty info and a booklet of basic recovery techniques.

This should go along nicely with our new winch. I look forward to hitting the trails this year with our new recovery kit, something every wheeler or winch operator should have. Whether purchased as a complete kit or pieced together, always make sure you have the proper and safe means to recovery somebody or yourself in a pinch.

caged
01-22-2014, 10:58 AM
that's some good stuff right there.

hustler
01-22-2014, 12:28 PM
Tee hee hee, greasable snatch block ...

I am turning 13 this year (mentally).

Sara
01-22-2014, 02:31 PM
:giggle:

Roblaza
01-22-2014, 09:21 PM
Tee hee hee, greasable snatch block ...

I am turning 13 this year (mentally).

LOL DECENT

Leyland
01-24-2014, 11:50 PM
Can't wait to see it in use! Nice kit..

XJPhoenix
01-28-2014, 11:48 AM
Here's hoping you won't need to use it.

:)

hustler
01-28-2014, 01:25 PM
Here's hoping you won't need to use it.

:)

Here's hoping you will! That means you're on some difficult trails!